The Battle

I am fighting a battle, a battle that is raging on even as I speak and I have the scars to show for it. I have been wounded, bloodied, mauled beyond repair. Several times I have been forced to think of surrender and retreat. The onslaught is horrific and unrelenting but I called upon my reserves, I rallied my forces, I disciplined the last remaining foot soldiers and urged them to put up a last fighting stand against the enemy.
The enemy, a very capable and dangerous fighting force, one of whose likes have never been seen before in this part of the world, equipped with the most deadly weaponry known to man. Backed by a even more powerful force, one that knows no mercy, no creed, religion, nothing makes any difference to the carnage it unleashes on its path to the ultimate goal.

His powers are unlimited, unrelenting and he can be sadistically cruel as he wants. His tentacles reach out into the hidden corners of our kingdom, sucking out the very essence and every resource that we have, and even the ones we thought we had, which we weren’t even aware of.

He plunders our armories, stockpiles, raid our granaries, ravages every defence we have and succeeds in weakening us till we are sorely tempted to lay down our arms at his feet.But weakened though I may be, I am not giving up without a fight.

Here, I lie bloodied, wounded, tired beyond the limits of human endurance. But still I fight on, day after day, night after night, sometimes they gain the upper hand, forcing us back and then again.
Me and my ragtag bunch keeping them away, but for how long?

I stand there, on the battlefield, my arms covered with blood, some of it mine. Holding the sword which has been my faithful companion for so long. I look back at my fortress, an empty shell. I think of the glory that it was, the days that I spent there, the happiness that I experienced, the love and the longing.

I may win this battle or maybe I wont, I may even win the war but I have still lost. My treasure has already been taken away from me.As I look at the hordes preparing their final surge towards me, I can see them frothing at their mouths, with murder in their bloodshot eyes; I experience a moment of calm and I think to myself – I was never meant to keep the treasure for long, I was never meant to be its rightful owner. I was just a caretaker –holding it for the rightful owner.

As evening falls, and the vultures pick up the pieces of the battle, I lie there looking at the azure sky weightless and surprisingly at peace with myself. I have lost.The battle, the war, my treasure. She has been taken away by the plunderer. Away to a new land to be spent among the denizens of that land who now own her.

I can feel something picking at my legs, something furry and clawed.

I close my eyes, this time for the final time. I can hear her smile.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Bro,

Amazing n very touching. i cld feel goose bumps as i approached the end. N u know wat , like u always say, i am going thru the same trials as u are.Very true..... we are plundered n i know wat hurts most is the indifference.... I pray that u get the strength n energy to move on to greener pastures. Dont stay in a place where u r not valued. Touch the stars with the talent that u r endowed with n everybody will look upto u.
pinkdrops said…
Hi Rohit

The write up is awesome...amazing is not the word...it is better to vent out all your thoughts and move on with your life. I pray that u get the best of everything here on...dont give up your hope... May god give u a life with love and happiness...all my good wishes for that...archana
Kutty said…
Hi Roby,
I got tears in my eyes as i read this..
But as i said life is a battlefield....failures should not stop you from achieving your dreams..
Whatever you have lost was not worth you...and whats gonna come is going to be very nice..
So my dear friend do not ever give up...
Look and Gaze said…
great ideas. I liked the way you presented it.

Popular posts from this blog

Art Imitating Life

A Diwali in Gokarna

Where's my Kohinoor?